Jonsi (Jón Jósep) and Gréta Salome will represent Iceland in the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 in Baku, Azerbaijan, in May, with the song Remember me (i. Mundu eftir mér).
Globally Jonsi is probably best known for participating in the contest in Turkey in 2004 with the song Heaven, earning him the 19th spot. In Iceland Jonsi has celebrated a long and successful career. Here are 5 things most people outside of Iceland don´t know about the sexy singer.
1. Jonsi is the singer of the rock band In Black Clothing (i. Í svörtum fötum). The band debuted with Jonsi in 1999 dressed in black suits, white shirts and wearing black ties. A rumor says the band was originally to be called The Goldfishes.
2. Jonsi played the part of Danny Zuko in the celebrated musical Grease in Iceland 2003. Singer Birgitta Haukdal played opposite him in the part of Sandy. In Europe Birgitta is mostly known for competing in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2003 with the song Open Your Heart.
3. That same year Jonsi appeared in a commercial campaign for Icelandic candy manufacturer Freyja. In the ads Jonsi was seen driving in a desert formed of gigantic female bodies and biting a chocolate candy bar. Then he delivered the line “Good dream, man!” which is a reference to the chocolates name. The campaign caused quite a stir in Iceland and Freyja sold a lot of chocolate.
4. In the year 2007 Jonsi graduated from flight attendant training.
5. Jonsi is married to his high school sweet heart, Rósa Björgvinsdóttir. Together they have two children.